The mandate to establish the Creative Economy Working Group (CEWG) was announced by the Minister of Finance, Economy and Investment in 2009 during the 2010 Budget Speech. The objectives of the working group were:
- To assess the potential of Malta’s CCIs by mapping, consulting and reviewing the sector.
- To address the professionalisation needs of the sectors within the creative economy.
- To develop a strategy that will generate income and create jobs in the creative economy.
- To internationalise Malta's creative economy.
- To maximise and synergise public and private resources for the creative economy through effective economic, legal and administrative processes.